How Teeth Whitening Works Everything You Need To Know
Want to get your teeth whitened in Woburn but have a few questions first? Check out this short guide to get all the most common questions about this treatment answered!
How Does Tooth Whitening Work?
Teeth whitening can take different approaches, but the most common one involves using a bleaching agent (usually peroxide) to break down the molecules on the surface of the teeth that make the stains and lift the enamel’s color a few shades.
You will need to expose your teeth to these whitening solutions a few different times to get the results you want. The more sessions you have, the whiter your teeth will be.
What Types of Teeth-Whitening Treatments Are There?
Teeth whitening comes in many forms, but there are three major categories to consider:
- Professional: These are kits you get at the dentist’s office. Professional teeth whitening comes with the bonus of having a personalized treatment plan that takes into account your specific needs, previous dental work, and even your budget. You can choose between in-office sessions or take-home professional kits.
- Over-the-counter: You can find many whitening solutions at your local drugstore or even online. They can come in the form of strips, gels with trays, or even toothpaste. Most OTC products are less potent, so their results will not be as significant. Moreover, some of them may use alternative whitening agents such as charcoal, which also have limited abilities to whiten teeth.
- DIY: Countless articles are touting the benefits of "simple" and "natural" remedies that can help you whiten your teeth, such as banana peels or baking soda. Unfortunately, you need to be careful with these DIY methods. Not only may they be ineffective, but they could also damage your tooth enamel.
Does Tooth Whitening Hurt?
Teeth whitening shouldn’t hurt, nor should it cause any permanent damage to your enamel. This is why opting for professional whitening is the best way to safely get the results you want. A dentist will first check if you’re a good candidate for whitening treatments and devise a plan that takes your oral health into account.
How Long Will My Results Last After Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening, no matter which type you choose, is not permanent. Results can last around 3 years with the right care, but you will need to make some lifestyle changes to prevent staining them faster.
These can include:
- Don’t smoke
- Avoid staining foods like pasta sauces.
- Drink coffee or tea through a straw.
- Brush your teeth after every meal.
- Use whitening toothpaste from time to time.
- Get a touch-up whitening session or professional dental cleanings, etc.
Get Your Teeth Whitened in Woburn
Access safe and effective at-home or in-office whitening treatments that will give you the smile you’ve always wanted.
Request a visit to Woburn Dental Associates online, or call us at (781) 933-0422 to get started.